Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I'm trying...

UPDATE: I managed get FOUR workouts in so far this week! Lots of intervals and today I did speed intervals! So hard but felt sooo great! I am taking tomorrow off (busy day at work) and then will hit the path for some 'distance' on Saturday. I am also comfortably in my pre-pregnancy work pants as of today! Oh and one pound down, only 9 more to go! Woo-hoo!!

To get on a new exercise schedule..as in everyday. Today is day two of this week. Although for the last couple weeks, I have made it to day two and can't seem to get over that hurdle.

The thing is, when I workout, I have to work out HARD! This makes me tired and then I don't want to do it again the next day. And also, I am so eager to get my speed and stamina back that I am not taking the 'baby steps' that are necessary to get there. It takes time..and I am not patient.

But this week..a new approach! Yesterday and today, I did interval training on the treadmill. Slower than what I would have done if I did 30 straight minutes of running. But it is still good for the heart to practice recovery. In fact, I feel so good after today's workout, that I want to go home and do a 15-min speed workout. (Disclaimer: my 'speed' is still slow!) But no time tonight. The kid needs food so I must go to the store tonight and I refuse to go (or workout) before he is in bed.

When I trained for marathons, I followed a schedule and hardly ever strayed from it. I enjoyed it and I liked knowing what I would be doing each day during the training period. I am not quite as disciplined as I am during training. I need to find that discipline again.

I have two goals: 1) lose 10 pounds (5 is extra pregnancy weight, 5 just because I need too!); 2) Run a half marathon in 2 hours next spring..Madison, Memorial Day weekend.

I think I can do #1 by Christmas, or atleast be close. #2 will be hard. Even at my best I never hit the 2hr mark. And next spring will be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment